How to use brand ambassadors to give your marketing and your brand an edge.
The concept of brand ambassadors has been around for quite some time now but with the rise of digital and social media in particular, more brands are starting to realize how a recognizable figure can help them grow their brand in the public eye.
If you are considering working with a brand ambassador in 2019, here are a few basics to get you started.
Brand Ambassadors or Influencers?
Before delving into how you can start working with brand ambassadors, it’s important to outline how they are different from influencers.
Even though influencers have been around for years, they have only become more talked about because of social media. An influencer is someone who has a loyal following in a particular niche and has the power to affect buying decisions. Influencers tend to fall into one of four categories, namely celebrities, industry experts, content creators and micro-influencers, and brands generally work with them on a campaign basis.
While influencers have the power to either positively or negatively impact your brand, a brand ambassador is someone who is hired by a company to assist them with positive brand awareness on an ongoing basis in an effort to boost sales. A brand ambassador will be the face of your brand and will represent you in the public eye.
What a Brand Ambassador Can Do for Your Brand
Here are a few of the reasons why brands choose to work with ambassadors.
The more consumers can relate to your brand, the more appealing your marketing will be and adding a face and a story to your brand is one way to do just that. Hiring a brand ambassador will help incorporate an emotive experience into your marketing and make it easier for them to relate to your brand.
- Generate quality website traffic
There are so many ways to work with a brand ambassador in order to not only increase your website traffic but generate quality traffic too. From creating informative and entertaining content to generating backlinks, working with a brand ambassador can help boost your SEO efforts.
When you work with a brand ambassador, you automatically link to their followers and supporters, which helps extend your reach. When a brand ambassador speaks out about something, their supporters and fans sit up and listen.
- Maintain a positive reputation
Brand ambassadors have helped a number of brands out of a jam. Unfortunately, when a brand or business makes a mistake, news can quickly spread online and things can easily spiral out of control. While brands do need to take responsibility for their mistakes, it helps to have a brand ambassador to support your brand during a tumultuous time.
Simple Ways to Start Working with Brand Ambassadors
If 2019 is the year that you would like to start working with a brand ambassador, here are a few tips to get you started.
- Don’t overthink the process. The easier you make it for an ambassador to work with you, the more willing they’ll be. Being clear on how you would like to work together and giving them everything they need to do their job are two easy ways to make someone more willing to support your brand.
- Choose the right ambassador. It’s important to thoroughly consider your ambassador options before you start approaching them. A brand ambassador should match the image and values of your brand and they should be linked to your target audience. When an ambassador feels like a natural fit for your brand, they won’t hesitate to work with you.
- Promote your program. If you’re going to run an ambassador program, know how you’re going to promote it. Get clear on your messaging and your targeting to ensure you attract the right ambassadors.
- Don’t discount your existing customers. When brands start thinking about ambassadors, they often forget that their loyal customers are the perfect fit. Your customer base can be the perfect place to start your search for an ambassador.
- Consider existing business relationships. Along with your existing customers, you should also tap into your business network. Make a list of the people you’ve cultivated solid relationships with over the years to see who may be a good fit.
- Send out a survey. If you want to find out which of your customers or contacts really love doing business with you, generate and send out a survey to get their feedback. If you run a membership-based business, send out a survey to see whether someone may be the ideal ambassador.
- Stick to the passionate few. When an ambassador is the right fit, they will be able to see it too. You won’t need to spend days or weeks trying to convince or sell them on the idea. Once you start your search, shortlist the most passionate candidates for the best results.
- Build your relationship. Once you start working with an ambassador, take the time to build a relationship with them. Asking them for their opinion and finding ways to incentivize them will go a long way in strengthening your relationship, which will only encourage them to provide you with better results.
- Give them something to work with. To really make your partnership work for your brand, it helps to give your ambassador something solid to work with from the get-go. Put some work into your brand before you start approaching ambassadors.
- How can you help them? Before you begin approaching ambassadors, decide how you can help them. The reality is, people always want to know what’s in it for them before they’ll consider doing business with someone. Create an elevator pitch of sorts if you really want to attract the right ambassador.
Working with a brand ambassador does take time and effort, and you could be searching for a good few months before you find the right fit but the results will be well worth it.