If you’ve ever wanted to add image recognition technology to your apps, Cloud Vision API can help you do that.
Google’s Optical Character recognition software is impressive. It’s capable of extracting text from images, scans and even handwritten documents in 248 languages, which includes all major South Asian languages too.
Google’s Cloud Vision API allows developers to take full advantage of their image recognition technology and create applications that better understand images.
APIs act as messengers because they take requests and returning responses. The Cloud Vision API categorises an image (request) before it detects a logo, face or content to display as a response. Along with identifying offensive content, businesses can also benefit from automatic metadata creation for their images.
Google Cloud Vision API Benefits
This is what the Cloud Vision API is capable of achieving.
- Object Detection. The APIs entity detection feature means you can use Google Image Search to detect objects in images.
- Object Insights. Since Cloud Vision is capable of detecting faces, copy and logos, it can also offer insights on the emotions of a person based on the position of their mouth, eyes or nose. The more the technology is used, the more it adapts to a specific environment, providing you with highly-accurate insights.
- Image Attribute Details. Capture details on colours as well as the size and landmark hints in an image.
- Content Moderation Capabilities. Marketers can now also moderate their content using Cloud Vision. With the help of Optical Character Recognition, it’s easy to detect whether an image contains offensive content and it can even detect the language that is being used.
- Image Feature Application. The API can also apply features to an image. For example, if you were using an image of a car, it would be able to pick up on the brand, colour and any text that may be present.
- Object Discoverability. Many businesses use Cloud Vision technology to discover a specific object such as a logo. Along with detecting whether your logo appears on social media platforms, it can also pick it up in different locations around the world.
- Google Does the Work. By letting the Cloud do all of the heavy lifting, all low-powered devices will benefit. Even developers who already have their own image recognition technology, including Google Cloud Vision API functionality will complement it and make it more powerful.
Overall, the days of general image recognition solutions are over. While Cloud Vision’s upcoming features are not yet known, developers that want to focus on projects that require specialised image recognition software will certainly benefit.