SEO is such a broad topic and with Google changing its algorithms every other month, it can be difficult to keep track of the ranking factors you should be focusing on to keep your site on page 1.
It’s important to remember that the success of your SEO efforts is dependent on a combination of factors, so it doesn’t help to just focus on one or two that seem important right now while letting everything else fall by the wayside.
These are the SEO ranking factors you should be keeping at the top of your list in 2019:
- Quality Content. Yes, content is still as important as ever. Even SEO expert, Rand Fishkin, recently spoke to the power of quality content, so don’t put it on the back burner just yet.
- Website Speed. The reality is online users demand speed, which means both your desktop and mobile site needs to be fast if you want to create the kind of user experience that Google loves.
- Website Accessibility. How easily Google bots and users can access your site will also count towards your SEO success. While HTTPS is only a minor ranking factor, it’s still good to have. A robots.txt file and a sitemap are essential.
- Mobile Friendliness. Mobile devices are taking over the world and if your website isn’t easy to use on a smaller screen, it’s definitely going to affect your SEO rankings. Don’t forget, mobile-first indexing is now in full swing.
- Domain Age & Authority. A report by Ahrefs recently showed that the domains on page 1 of Google were always at least 3 years old, which shows that the age of your domain matters. A higher domain authority score also increases your site’s likelihood of ranking well.
- On-Page Optimisation. Making sure that factors such as Meta data, Schema markup and internal linking are all in order still matters in 2019.
- User Experience. RankBrain is a signal that uses artificial intelligence to track user experience. Google looks at aspects such as click-through rate, bounce rate and dwell time to determine how happy users are with their experience on your site.
SEO is an ongoing process and one that will continue to change, so make sure you don’t fall behind on any updates.