In order to track the results of your Google Ads campaigns, you will first need to connect your Ads dashboard to Google Analytics.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account and click on the wrench icon in the upper right-hand corner
- Click on Linked Accounts under Setup
- Click on Details under Google Analytics
- You will need to have administrative access to link a property to Google Analytics. If you do, click on Link next to the property you want to link to Analytics
- You will now be presented with one or multiple views that you can link. Once you connect Google Ads to Analytics, you will be able to see the click, cost, goals and transaction data for your campaigns.
Accessing Google Ads Data in Google Analytics
Now that you have linked your Google Ads account to analytics, you will be able to pull your reports in one place.
To access these reports, follow these steps:
- Login to Google Analytics and navigate to the property you just linked
- Click on Acquisition and Google Ads
- You will now see the option to click on Campaigns
Pulling Google Ads Reports
Now that you know where to find the campaign reports, here is some of the valuable data that you can pull.
- Campaign report. Discover how each of your ads is performing by looking at what you have spent on each ad and how many times it has been clicked. You can also access information on how users interacted with your site once they clicked through.
- Keyword report. Find out which of the keywords you are targeting are performing the best, ensuring you are putting more budget towards the keywords that are generating a return on investment.
- Search queries report. Generate a list of the search terms that were typed into Google to generate your ads. You would need to add this as a secondary dimension when generating this report.
- Final URL report. Discover which URLs lead a user to convert once they reached your site. The Ad Distribution Network tab will give you this information.
And there you have it, using Google Ads in conjunction with Analytics is incredibly easy.