If you’re looking for ways to take your marketing to the next level in 2018 and beyond, influencer marketing may be the answer you’ve been looking for.
In order to compete in an ever-changing digital landscape and meet the demands of today’s online consumers, brands have had to think of new and innovative ways to stand out and make an impact.
Influencer marketing is a term that has been around for several years now but how brands are using it in their overall strategies has changed dramatically.
A recent survey by Collective Bias showed that 70% of millennials will consider recommendations from their peers before making a buying decision and that non-celebrity bloggers were 10x more likely to influence an in-store purchase than high-profile celebrities.
The reality is that today’s online consumers are looking for a more personalized online experience, one where they can truly connect with brands and with their peers, which is why so many businesses have started including influencer marketing in their strategies.
A study conducted by Nielsen Catalina Solutions and TapInfluence indicated that influencer marketing generates up to 11x more ROI than traditional marketing tactics, which makes sense considering the use of adblockers increased by 30% in 2016.
Influencer marketing recap
So what does influencer marketing entail exactly?
Influencer marketing is when a business partners with a person of influence, who’s in alignment with their brand values and goals, in an effort to convert more customers using various marketing tactics, usually in the form of content.
Many people generally associate the word influencer with high-profile celebs who have millions of fans, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. While high-profile celebrities and figures are the right fit for some brands, trust and authority are the real measures of a true influencer.
Powerful influencers are authorities on particular topics and have loyal fans and followers who trust their recommendations and value their opinions. While an influencer may only have several hundred fans, their fans are loyal to them.
Why influencer marketing is a must in 2018
If you’re still wondering whether influencer marketing is the right fit for your brand, here are a few benefits to consider:
- Influencers increase trust in your brand. Today’s consumers are a lot more wary of brands and the promises they make, but influencer marketing is changing all that. When you work with influencers, consumers are much more willing to listen and are also far more likely to place their trust in your brand.
- They enhance your online presence. One of the main draws of working with influencers is that they really know what they’re doing online. Collaborating with an influencer means that you will be driving more traffic to your online platforms and increasing awareness and authority at the same time. This means that if you approach influencer marketing correctly, you can expect an increase in traffic, engagements and hopefully conversions too.
- It’s cost-effective. Content generation is a common pain point for many brands. By working with influencers, not only are you reaching a larger, possibly untapped audience, but you have the ability to generate additional content without having to hire someone on a full-time basis.
- You can provide a more authentic brand experience. 81% of consumers want brands to get to know them and understand when to approach them and when not to. By working with someone who already has a connection with your target audience and can assist you with your content and online marketing efforts, you can automatically start offering consumers a more authentic experience with your brand.
- It’s easy to connect with influencers in 2018. An increased demand for influencers has resulted in the development of a number of platforms that have made it simpler than ever to connect and work with the right influencers. Platforms such as Upfluence or Grin are examples of influencer tools that are available to brands today.
The key to effective influencer marketing campaigns
If you truly want to make influencer marketing work for your brand, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Choose your influencer carefully. It’s incredibly important to only work with influencers who align with your brand’s values and goals and have access to your ideal target audience.
- Get organized. It’s important to plan out your campaign objectives and ideas before approaching an influencer so that you can give them all the details necessary to make an informed decision about whether they want to work with you or not. Don’t forget to set a budget too.
- Make it a partnership. While you may have the best understanding of what your brand is trying to achieve, it’s important to also give your chosen influencer some room to make suggestions and be a genuine partner in the creative and campaign process.
- Create a schedule. Once you’re ready to get started, be sure to have a schedule in place so that you can keep track of campaign efforts and track your results.
While not every brand may feel that influencer marketing is right for them, it certainly has a lot to offer and is worth exploring, especially if you’re looking for new ways to expand your online presence in 2018 and beyond.
What are your thoughts on influencer marketing and its effectiveness as a marketing tactic?