With so much going on in the digital marketing space, it can be difficult to stay up to date. Here are some tips to help you out.
In the world of digital marketing, every month is different. Whether it’s a new app, an algorithm update or changes to social media advertising policies, changes are happening all the time.
Digital marketers really have their work cut out for them. When they’re not trying to build stellar strategies, create killer content and run engaging social media campaigns, they need to find time to stay up to date with the many changes taking place in the digital marketing space.
Collecting the updates and information that’s pertinent to your brand can be a full-time job on its own, which is why it helps to have the right tools and resources available to make things easier.
A structured approach to staying up to date
It’s all too easy to be sucked into a never-ending spiral of Googling, reading blogs and watching videos but this approach to staying up to date on the latest trends and online marketing news can quickly eat up a lot of your time.
To make the most of your time and ensure that you’re only focusing on the information that’s most relevant to your brand, it’s best to have a plan in place.
- Start by making a list of the topics that are most important to your brand. If you run regular social media campaigns and push a lot of content out across your pages then staying up to date with changes being made to those platforms would be important. Another example would be if you rely on local sales and website traffic then local SEO updates would be an important topic for you too.
- Decide on the tools and resources that you will be using for these updates. Marketers are always spoilt for choice when it comes to online tools and resources but it’s better to narrow down your selection to make this process less overwhelming. Make a list of the tools, blogs, YouTube channels and RSS feeds that are going to be most valuable to your brand and only work with those.
- Get organized. Once you know where your updates will be coming from, it’s important to organize your information to make it easier to work through and to ensure that you’re giving enough attention to different topics. For example, you don’t want to spend an entire week only going through social media updates only to find that you missed an important SEO update. By categorizing your updates and information, you can attend to the latest blogs, videos, and updates on a daily basis across an array of topics. Here are some ways that you can get organized:
- Subscribe to newsletters & alerts. Most of today’s top blogs have weekly or monthly newsletters. Subscribe to these newsletters to get important information delivered straight to your inbox. Go one step further by creating a folder for each blog or resources to make it easier to sift through this information.
- Create a list in Keep or Trello. As you go through your newsletters and alerts in the morning, open up the latest newsletters and emails from the brands you love and categorize the news stories, videos, and updates into different categories using a tool such as Keep or Trello. For example, you could have a Top Priority, Medium Priority, and Low Priority List. This will ensure that you’re always attending to news and updates that will directly and immediately impact your brand.
- Set some time aside every day to work through this information. Collecting these updates won’t be any use if you’re not actually using them. Even an hour a day will go a long way in increasing your knowledge and ensuring that your brand is always on top of important changes and updates.
The best tools for staying up to date with digital marketing
There are a number of very specific resources that you can use to stay abreast of the latest updates and information but you can also take a more general approach using tools such as Google Alerts and Feedly.
These tools will send you links to blogs and news stories that cover the topics, keywords and search terms that you specify. These tools are a great hands-free way to gather information from the best online resources.
Twitter lists is another useful way to collect updates and information. Platforms such as Buffer and Hootsuite make it incredibly easy to create Twitter lists that contain streams of information from certain accounts and based on specific topics.
Zest is one of the latest extensions from Google Chrome and is another tool worth mentioning. This easy-to-use tool filters out all of the low-quality and unnecessary content and only feeds through highly-relevant content from other marketers.
Here are some examples of specific blogs that can be used to collect information and updates on an array of topics:
Staying up to date in the fast-paced world of digital marketing can seem overwhelming but not when you know exactly what you’re looking for and where to find it.
What are some of your favorite tools and resources?